Monday, December 21, 2015

"I'm just like a Korean."

This week has been really great minus the loss of my camera. It fell off of a table. No pictures for a while.

Anyways, this week we were out working hard. We met some people but no one has really stuck around. We were out with the other missionaries in the district and met a group of Chinese students. We invited them to our ward Christmas party that we had this Saturday. They came and had a really great time.

Our members have been amazing to us this week. We've had a lot of appointments with them. It's been great to talk to them and get to know the saints in this area. I feel like meeting with them is changing my perspective on missionary work. As I'm out on the street I see the people more like the members. It helps me teach to their needs. My work with them has brought out one of the best compliments I've heard on my mission. 

Korea has a very deep culture. I've tried my hardest to learn it and all of the manners. Table manners are very big. Respect is another big thing. There are other little things that are really important like helping others with their work. 

Anyways, I've been trying to do all of these things and one of the members told me that I was just like a Korean! That is not a compliment that they give out easily. I was so happy. I love the Korean people.

This week I have been studying charity (which was actually really good because I had to teach the gospel principals class with no notice on Sunday. The topic was charity) Charity is really important in missionary work. Seeing other people through God's eyes has helped me be more driven and effective. 

Missionary work has changed me and who I am. I've been thinking about this a lot this week. I've gotten really used to missionary life. I get up and pray, study, find people and teach. I've done that everyday for over a year. This week I've taken the time to think about how special of an opportunity it is. 

I love being a missionary! The work is awesome!

Love,
Elder Harkness

No comments:

Post a Comment